About the Workshop
The IZA Institute of Labor Economics invites you to participate in the GETTSIM Workshop 2024. The workshop will take place at IZA, Bonn.
It is generously funded by the DFG.
The workshop brings together academics and practitioners of tax-benefit modeling to discuss improvements and applications in research, teaching, and policy consulting. Main focus of the workshop is the German Tax and Transfer Simulator (GETTSIM), a comprehensive open source depiction of the German tax and transfer system.
It consists of short courses on GETTSIM including applications and hands-on exercises. In smaller groups, participants’ ideas, projects and applications will be discussed, and developed. Finally, there will be a chance to get started on jointly implementing specific improvements that came up during the workshop.
In the morning before the workshop, there will be an optional session where we will assist in getting GETTSIM up and running on your own computer.
Topics covered in the courses and sessions:
- General introduction to GETTSIM
- Ideas, specific improvements, and MSM Development
- Research applications
- Applications in policy consulting
- Applications from teaching
- Interfaces with other software
We welcome participants who are curious about GETTSIM as well as contributions with more concrete ideas. These could take the form of sketches of your intended application, a research idea, an extended abstract, a paper where you could use a more detailed model of taxes or transfers, etc. We especially encourage academics and practitioners of tax-benefit modeling, both at all levels of seniority, to apply.
The workshop is designed as a lunch-to-lunch event, starting July 18 at 13:00 and ending July 19 at 13:00.
- Please submit your participation intention by May 15, 2024.
- Acceptance decisions will be announced by May 31, 2024.
- Registration deadline is June 15, 2024. Late registration is possible if space permits.
Travel and Accommodation
- There is no participation fee. Travel and hotel will be on your own account, though we may be able to assist some junior participants with these expenses.
- We have reserved a sufficient number of rooms at InterCity Hotel Bonn. Rooms can not be guaranteed for late registrations after June 15, 2024.